Nuneaton bowling alley siege: Gunman shouted ‘game over’ as he took hostages at ‘ex-partner’s workplace’

23 Oct

A retail park in Nuneaton was in lockdown for several hours after two members of staff were taken hostage by an armed man believed to be the ex-partner of an employee at the bowling alley.

A suspect was taken to hospital and two men, understood to be hostages, were released unharmed after police used flashbangs to storm the alley shortly before 7pm on Sunday evening. 

Warwickshire police said the man had been arrested and was in police custody. 

Police have said they believe the incident was “unconnected to any terrorist activity”, and the CEO of the bowling company, MFA Bowl, told Sky News that he thought the man, reportedly armed with a shotgun, was the ex-husband or ex-partner of a member of staff. 

Interviewed while the incident was still underway, Mehdi Afshar said: “We believe from what my manageress tells me that he is an ex-husband or a boyfriend of a member of staff. That is what I know, I can’t confirm that for definite.”